Sunday, May 17, 2009

ARMed and underwater


WASHINGTON (MarketWatch -- Question: I have a problem. Like most people out there, my mortgage is underwater. However, I have a double negative in that I bought my home in late June 2005 with an adjustable-rate mortgage with the idea of refinancing after three years.

Now, the economy has taken a plunge, along with the value of my home, which I purchased for $129,000 and is now worth $110,00-$115,000. My lender will allow borrowers such as me to refi only twice. I have gone that route once before, and I'm afraid to go there again because if I refi too early, I won't be able to do it again. My payments are $1,186 a month on a 8.625% interest rate and that hurts!

I live in a low-income area. I have spoken to another bank, which tells me my wife and I are qualified for an FHA loan. Both of us have good jobs and make enough money to cover the mortgage. But we feel its time to switch to a fixed-rate loan. So far, no lender has been able to help us.

Answer: You seem to be an excellent candidate for President Obama's Making Home Affordable program. But before you go there, I'd say that if your current lender is willing to refinance you out of an ARM into a fixed-rate mortgage, go for it. I doubt rates are going to fall much more than they already have, so I wouldn't be afraid to pull the trigger a second time because it's "too early."

There is nothing wrong with grabbing a rate in the 5% range right now, especially if it gives you payments you can afford. My gosh, that's better than a 3.5 point difference. So in your case, the second time could be a charm.

If you are not successful, check out www.makinghomeaffordable.gov, which outlines the administration's plan to help stabilize the housing market by reducing the mortgage payments of up to 9 million eligible homeowners.

The refinance portion of the effort gives up to 5 million owners with loans owned or guaranteed by either Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac an opportunity to trade in their loans for ones that are easier on their pocketbooks. And the loan modification part commits $75 billion to keep as many as 4 million other families in their homes by preventing avoidable foreclosure.

The Web site has detailed information about these programs along with self-assessment tools and calculators to empower borrowers with the resources they need to determine whether they might be eligible for a modification or a refinance under the program. Check out the Making Home Affordable site.

Borrowers also can use the site to connect to free counseling resources to answer any questions they may have about their own personal situations. You'll also find a checklist of key documents and materials to have ready when making that important call to your lender as well as FAQs from borrowers in similar circumstances.

Q: I enjoyed your article on tax credits for energy efficient home improvements. The question I have is, do the credits phase out at higher income levels like so many of the recent tax rebates and credits (typically over $75,000). See previous Realty Q&A.

A: Good news. There are no income limitations on the energy credits. So feel free to spend away.

Q: Great article on reverse mortgage for seniors who want to scale down the housing ladder. What happens to the lower property tax basis on the first house, the one in California? Who pays the property tax bill, and could they have used the lower or carryover basis of the old property tax basis since they over 55? See previous Realty Q&A.

A: I'm an East Coast guy who doesn't know all that much about the Left Coast. So I turned your question over to Robert D. Yeary, CEO of Reverse Mortgage Solutions. The Spring, Tex., firm has developed a specialized, state of the art system to service reverse mortgages in all jurisdictions. Here's his response:

"In California, you can transfer your old tax base to a new house, provided the county in which you purchase your new home allows that transfer. Not all counties do that. But even in jurisdictions that do allow a transfer, if you pay more for the new house, you can only transfer the tax base if the purchase price is no greater than 105% of the amount for which you sold your previous residence. If you wait a full year after the sale of your home, you can transfer 110% of the selling price."

If the new house is considerably less expensive that the home you sold, Yeary suggests considering what the property tax would be without transferring the lower basis to the new place.

"Surprisingly," he says, "in California, real estate taxes are fairly low thanks to Proposition 13. Taxes are set at the time you purchase the home and can go up only so much every year. There are plenty of houses worth $500,000 or more in California with low tax bases because they were purchased years ago for $35,000."

Yeary also notes that the Golden State offers several tax relief program for low and moderate-income seniors.

Source

1 comment:

Dorothy said...

Dear webmaster,

I am Dorothy Parker. I have visited your website and I would like to congratulate you on building such a valuable online resource. I am sure your visitors find your site as useful as I did.
My site also has relevant information in the same context, which I am sure your visitors will really appreciate. It would be great if we exchange links with each other. It would boost your search engine rankings, as relevant inbound links is the most important criteria for ranking on most search engines. It would also help bring targeted traffic to your site and reach out to a valuable, relevant audience.

If you are interested then please revert back to me ASAP. If you are not the concerned person then would request to kindly forward the mail to the respective person.
Waiting for your quick and positive reply to come.

Have a great day.

Thanks and regards
Dorothy
Contact:dorothy786@gmail.com

N.B: -- This message contains personal, privileged, and confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee, you are NOTIFIED not to disseminate, distribute, re-transmit, copy, or utilize this e-mail, and contents herein. Please notify the sender immediately by return email if you have received this e-mail by mistake. You are FURTHER NOTIFIED to delete this e-mail and any attachments, as well as any copies made thereof, from your computer system(s). The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message and unless explicitly stated otherwise, does not intend to give legal advice or enter in an attorney-client relationship.